Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Bologna... First Days...

Ok.. so... Its my second full day here in Bologna and lets just say I desperately need to get my Italian to start working for me. I have three Italian roommates and these people just talk soooo fast, it doesn't help that everyone in the street assumes I'm Italian. So far, my first word most frequently used over and over is 'scuzi'.
This city is absolutely beautiful. My apartment, although shared with four other people is very nice, and I can't complain based on other horror stories that I heard from other students today. It was our first day of class today and our professors are pretty hilarious. Awesome accents, and very good teachers so far. First class of Italian tomorrow. Sweet.

Here's some pictures so far from my first day as a tourist trekking around town.

This is the entrance to my apartment... it reminds me very much so of Eat.Pray.Love.

This is the view from my room.. we have a set of doors that walks out to a very small balcony. Although the buildings here are very old and worn down, its really, really pretty.

This is the view from our kitchen, another reference to a movie it reminds me of is Amelie. It looks upon a very little courtyard type of structure.

And this is our kitchen, with the smallest stove I've ever seen.

Just a picture of how most of the streets look like. The town is covered with these arcades, I believe are referred to as "Portici'. Bologna is covered overall by 38km worth of these arcs. Meaning even if it's raining I can walk my 12min to school and barely get rained on.


More portici.


This is not an illusion... I'm not sure what's going on with the Italian people, but they just don't seem to get their towers straight. These are the iconic towers of Bologna. I still have to go up there, you can see all of the city from there. In the past, the theory is, the towers used to belong to some of the richest families. There used to be alot more of these in the city but most of them were demolished, taken down or simply collapsed.


Statue of Neptune near the Piazzo Maggiore.

These things EVERYWHERE.


Polish Vodka Everywhere.


Piazza Maggiore is approx 4 min walk from my apartment. Its the city center. Yesterday was a Holiday in Bologna. It turns out every City in Italy has its own Holiday once a year. Every city here has a patron, who is celebrated. Bishop Petronius was the one who built the grand church at Piazza Maggiore, and yesterday was the Petronius Festival.

More Arcs.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. It makes me miss Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures look like something out of a magazine. I can't believe you live here now, it looks BEAUTIFUL :) More posts please!! Want to see how class is and what you are learning.

    Buon viaggio!! Happy travels my good good friend.

    ReplyDelete